Efficient breathers perform longer and faster on fewer litres of air per minute and have fewer breakdowns.
Optimising oxygen delivery to the body's tissues has the following effects:
- provides cardiovascular improvements through enhanced blood flow with less resistance in blood vessels, and enhanced release of oxygen to working muscles (Verigo-Bohr Effect)
- the same levels of exertion can be maintained with a lower heart rate and less effort
- endurance improves as metabolism is aerobic for a longer period
- less lactic acid buildup, less cramping and leg fatigue
- lactic acid clearance is enhanced due to dilation of blood vessels
- recovery is faster due to lower performance heart rate and faster heart rate recovery time and enhanced clearance of metabolic end-products
- reduction in breathing volume and improved breathing efficiency results in less irritation and dehydration of the airways with reduced symptoms of dyspnoea and asthma (the role of CO2 as a natural bronchodilator)
- normalised arterial CO2 benefits immune function and metabolism due to its role as a blood pH buffer
- improvements in breathing carry over into nocturnal breathing, evidenced in better sleep quality with less snoring and apnoea.
Dr Mercola - How the Buteyko Breathing Method can improve your health and fitness >>
Contact us to book a breathing/fitness assessment and we will show you how to achieve a 20% improvement in your fitness and recovery time in just one 60-minute session.